news & stories-all about camping, travelling & africa

Quick Quote

vans by hay
photo gallery.
Print a Copy Print

Department of Home Affairs Legislation on Children Travelling to/from South Africa

Travelling Abroad with Children? Check with the South Africa Department of Home Affairs on latest legislations


Please check with your South African Embassy or on the DHA website for the exact detail related to your situation and the latest information incase of changes.

The amendment to the Immigration Act Regulation 6 requires, in summary, anyone travelling to or from South Africa with children under the age of 18, to be in possession of a fully unabridged birth certificate, in addition to a valid passport (read the DHA lefalet - This policy was implemented in June 2015, but may change.

International travellers and unabridged birth certificates: Foreign children travelling to South Africa will need a legal document, issued by the relevant authority in their home country, containing information similar to South Africa's Unabridged Birth Certificate, including details of both parents. In the case of countries that do not issue similar documents to the Unabridged Birth Certificate, a letter to this effect issued by the competent authority of the foreign country will need to be produced. For the correct format of this letter (published by Home Affairs), click here. In cases where the Unabridged Birth Certificate is in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by a sworn translation issued by a competent authority in the country concerned.

The requirement was part of a number of child travel laws introduced in June 2015 to curb child trafficking in South Africa. However, falling tourism numbers and criticism from the travel industry have forced Government to amend certain requirements and there has been talk of the South African Government scrapping the requirement for unabridged birth certificates for children travelling into and out of South Africa. Instead, South African parents' details will be printed in their minor child's passport.


THE RULES MAY CHANGE AT ANY TIME - PLEASE CHECK FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION. Before travelling, it's highly recommended that you consult the South African embassy in your home country, in order to ensure that you meet all relevant criteria or visit the Department of Home Affairs South Africa website: 

Updated by Hannes van Tonder 17/10/2016

Read Other Articles....


Back to all articles book a camper


home search mailto: from Lekker Campers website bookmark this site sitemap
Cape Town & Western Cape  
Cape Town
campervan hire
Port Elizabeth
camper hire
camper van
Garden Route
Terms & Conditions Contact Us Make a Booking Links Privacy Site map Site Version: 6.1 Copyright: © Lekker Camper 2005-2018 Designed By: LSD
officially the no.1 original & affordable volkswagen campervan rental, kombi, mpv, suv. 4x4 & van vehicle hire company for independent and cool travellers in south africa